Grace Baptist Church History
Grace Baptist Church was founded on June 26, 1959 and originally met in the old Wright Furniture Store in South Harriman. Initially, two Sunday School classes were offered: the adult class, taught by Brother Edward Crabtree, and the children’s class, taught by Sister Jean Pollard. The church remained in the furniture store until they purchased their current property on Pine Ridge Road in June of 1960. Those that participated in the founding of this local, New Testament church borrowed money to begin construction of the basement of the original building. Through the faithful laboring of those present, the basement was finished by July of 1960. The first building was completely finished in October, 1964.
In 1979, the church began construction of an addition, which included a porch. Due to the steady increase in traffic over time, the church building was rotated so that the entrance faced away from the road. The fellowship hall was built in 1988, and was followed by the construction of the current auditorium, which was completed in March of 2001, and completely paid for within the following year. The old building was demolished to make room for a parking lot.
For several years, the church faced many trials and attacks of the devil. Through it all, however, God was faithful, ever using those who were willing to serve to keep the church going. Pastor Robert Langford and family came to Grace in August of 2013. Since then, the church has steadily grown and those same faithful men and women still continue to serve and be used of the Lord. No church is without it’s faults, but the saints at Grace have a heart to learn the Bible and serve others.